Saturday, January 10, 2015

Constitution Loophole.






At the time when I was an vice president for Squamish Songwriters Association I was asked by one High School Punk Band to attend their rehearsal session. So I did.
When I did arrive to their address I did discover that their band was rehearsing in the chicken shack.
=
Well I did get a good kick in out of that. And after that I did offer to the bend to have a decent rehearsal space.
Their first reaction was - well we are all students and we don't have any money.
So I did offer them a rehearsal space for $5 per year.
=
Well they did think that it was a joke but it was not.
=
Perhaps average price for decent rehearsal space those years was &50 a day not $5 a year.
But I had my strategy.
Squamish had a Arts Council Building what they were renting from the city for $1 a year. On top Arts Council had various groups with inn what for Group membership of $ 25 a year were allowed to use the building for their activities.
And so did we at Squamish Songwriters Association.
=
Off course when I said to the Arts Council that we would like a Punk Band to start using the building for their rehearsal space no one did wanted to hear about it.
But mandate of the Arts Council as in their constitution was to promote and to support ARTS in the city.
And what is the Punk Music ? Art after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment